Monday 3 February 2014

Beginnings

So, another miniature gaming blog, just what’s needed to cheer you all up.

Well if you’re looking for someone to blame the head over to Dave / sssk’s Malifaux blog ‘play it like beatdown’ at or listen to Chris King on the Chasing Bacon podcast (on second thoughts don’t listen to it, just skip to the relevant section) and it will become clear that this has been set up to report on ‘The Tale of Malifaux Bloggers’ project that’s going on.

‘The Tale of What, What?’

Yeah, apparently it’s a thing where Malifaux players new and old start up a new master, have a budget to spend on it per month (can’t remember how much) and then post updates on how things are going, what you have been up to and how many hobbies you have crushed with your new toys. Sounds fun to me.

So, you ask....

Who the Hell are you and why should I read this crap?

Well, my name is Scott Porter, I’m 38 years old and I’m a gamer! Well as a point of fact I’m more of a buyer of gaming paraphernalia. I have a little problem with that side of things.

 My earliest memories of anything gaming related I suppose were the good old Fighting Fantasy books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingston (man they were great) and this progressed on to Heroquest, the MB / GW board game. Unfortunately the nearest place to where I lived that was worth visiting had a GW store (It used to be on The Moor in Sheffield, probably still there) and after stepping through the doors I strayed into the worlds of Advanced Heroquest, Warhammer Quest and 40k which I stuck with through my early teens until I decided that girls and booze were more fun.

I had a brief foray back into the world of 40K in my 20’s and started collecting Chaos & Imperial Guard armies but never played much and sold up after a year.

In my early 30’s I was working in London and found out a guy I worked with used to play a bit of D&D. We found a local board game shop where we picked up some Magic the Gathering (evil money sucking game, but great) starter decks and played on our lunch break, this followed on to mass games of Twilight’s Zombies!!! That used to see ‘extended’ lunch breaks which took up most of the Friday afternoons.

A few years after I left London and moved to Norwich I was feeling the urge to collect another 40k army and found a local gaming club, Aftermath, which I joined.

Feeling jubilant at finding somewhere to actually play games I bought myself a 40k ‘Nids army, played one game and then discovered that there were other game systems out there, things that I had heard about and never played!

The ‘Nids got sold (and I haven’t touched a GW game since, apart from Blood Bowl) and I discovered the world of gaming beyond GW gaming, and that’s where my problem started...

As far as miniature games go I own armies for Freebooters Fate, Kings of War, Dystopian Wars, Blood Bowl, Dreadball, Deadzone, Dust Tactics, Drake, Infinity, Bolt Action and probably more that I have forgotten and of course Malifaux, which I consider my main game at the minute.

My Malifaux History

I started playing Faux bang on 2 years ago now and am part of the fabled ‘Tractor Massive’. In 1.5 I played a lot of Colette (I’m the one the massive lovingly refer to as NPE) and Sonnia with a bit of McCabe mixed in.

To date I have had 20 games of M2E, 18 of which have been with Resser Tara and I recently won my first tournament at The Isle of Faux in January.

So, enough of this crap, what’s next?

Well the main purpose of this blog is to chart the progress of ‘The Tale of Malifaux Bloggers’ (of which I am now officially one) but I also hope to intersperse this with mindless ramblings, tournament reports and ripping the piss out of Matt Spooner.

I might even learn how to put links to other stuff in, and pictures, and all sorts of other stuff.

Until next time...

Scott
Wyrd Forums – Barnaberible

Twitter - @Barnaberible 

No comments:

Post a Comment