Wednesday 5 March 2014

ToMB Episode 1.6 - One Month In


First month in

Well after a month of ToMB I’m now in a position where I need to think about my next models. I’m three games in with 2 losses and a win, although two of those games didn’t go beyond turn 3.

The two games I haven’t reported back on were;

Vs Mike Marshall (Coloddi) on Vassal, Reconnoiter

I was absolutely hammered on this one, whatever I tried didnt come off and once again I felt as though I was wandering around aimlessly. Mike got 3 points from plant explosives on T1 from re-activating dolls and I just about got into position for this before the game ended. Jack performed well, taking out Vasilisa quite easily and the void wretches were OK. Everything else didn’t do Jack! Montressor in particular was very poor again and I struggled with his positioning.

We called it on T3 and worked out it would more than likely finish 9-6 ish to Mike but I think that’s probably being generous, I was played off the board.

After this game I went away and had a think about things, and wrote a little piece on the phases I go through for winning games, which I will post up in the next couple of days.

Vs Henchman Lee (Dreamer) Turf War

Again this was called on T3 (we were both playing very slow and yapping a lot) but I fared a lot better. Jack positioned himself pretty much in the middle of the board and caused a nuisance for 3 whole turns before finally being eaten by Chompy. Montressor’s contribution was again somewhat questionable but he did manage to kill Tuco in T1. Unfortunately the killing blow was achieved by sucking him into base contact along with half the rest of my crew and killing him at the end of the turn where his Black Blood caused chaos!

Void Wretches again performed well for Line in the Sand and Turf War. At the end of T3 I think the score was sitting at 6-2 but I was beginning to fall to pieces a little bit and it would probably have finished much closer than that.

So what have I learned from month one?

Jack is awesome; he can be a real pain for opponents and takes a lot of resources to get rid of. He pretty much performed as I expected. Ligeia is awesome, you have to be careful with her positioning and she may not last that long in the thick of things but the no cheat aura is massive. Void Wretches are awesome; they performed much better than expected for a 4SS minion.

The Guilty are average, I wasn’t expecting much from a 5ss minion but they are very ‘meh’. They require a lot of work to get their pushes off and can be quite card intensive if you want to use their tricks. Their saving grace is hard to kill which is great on a low cost minion. And then there is…

The Trouble with Montressor

After 3 games with Tara I was on the verge of dropping the Nothing Beast and after around 5 games it went into the case and never came out again, I’m almost at that point with Montressor and if it wasn’t for the restriction of ToMB I would probably be doing the same with him.

My main problem is, well, erm I don’t have a main problem, just an all round lack of inspiration. So, the problems I have are…

Walk 4. Yes he’s nimble which is good but walk 4 is slow, real slow. His 50mm base is great for the auras but a lot of the time he just seems to get in the way, blocking LOS and auras from other models.

Triggers. No built in crow for toss the noose means you have to cheat one in, and the suck into base contact can be countered by the opponent dropping 2 cards, so potentially I’m swapping one of my high crows for two of his cards, not great.

0 Actions. The only one he has is from his upgrade which forces a WP resist or pushes them into base contact, the only problem with this is that it sucks everything, friendly and enemy, into base contact and pretty much everything I’m running has a WP of 4 so if I don’t want them to go I have to cheat high or position them further away, which leaves him isolated, and he won’t last long like this with his….

8 Wounds. On a 9SS model is not great, not great at all.

I’m pretty sure a lot of this is down to activation order and positioning. I will persevere with him and see what happens but a beatstick of some kind is on my shopping list.

The next problem I have with the models I am using is low WP. Everything apart from Jack has WP4 and boy did I feel it when I went up against Neverborn so that’s also something I need to bear in mind for my next purchases.

I have a week to decide what’s next up, hmmm…………….

No comments:

Post a Comment